Dear Colorado Voters,
My name is Bernard Douthit, and I want to be your next State Treasurer. I appreciate you taking the time to read this letter.
I realize the Treasurer’s role often gets overlooked, but I believe that at a time when our State faces so many fiscal challenges including fixing PERA, TABOR and Gallagher, we need a strong Treasurer with in-depth expertise and a proven track record to help solve these problems. We would not elect an Attorney General without a law degree and a legal background, and we shouldn’t elect a Treasurer without a finance background.
I have the passion, ideas and qualifications to bring real change to this office.
- For the last 7 years I have built a finance consulting business where I use my skills and background to help companies improve their cash flow and profitability. In addition, I also own a math tutoring business that I started 7 years ago with my own money.
- I have an undergraduate education in economics and a graduate degree in management and finance from MIT.
- I do not take any corporate or special interest money, and, therefore, will not be influenced by Hospital PACs or companies like Wells Fargo and ConocoPhillips that have donated to many members of our State Legislature.
As Treasurer, I want to move away from the status quo starting with the following things:
- Above all, I will keep our money safe and secure. I also will move our money out of Wells Fargo and into a State based bank or credit union.
- As a recent news article pointed out, PERA has been paying hundreds of millions to Wall St. in fees for sub-par investments. My Mom and fiancé are both PERA members. With a seat on the PERA Board, I will preserve and protect it, and work to make sure its investments are more closely scrutinized and free from conflicts of interest.
- Working with our Legislature, I plan to create a State Public Bank for Colorado. North Dakota has had a Public Bank for nearly 100 years. Countries like Germany and China have had Public Banks for decades. A Public Bank would put our money to work for us, not Wall Street and could return more than $50 million per year to the Treasury.
- I volunteered for ColoradoCare in 2016 because I believed then as I do now that health care is a human right and we must find a solution that covers everyone. To do this we need a well-qualified Treasurer who will make the financial case to voters that universal health care is not only the right thing to do, it is the fiscally responsible thing to do.
I hope to earn your vote in the Primary. Please feel free to contact me directly at 720-635-3403 or Bernard.firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or issues you’d like to discuss.
I hope we can work together to create a better tomorrow.
Candidate for State Treasurer